test edit 2


2006 Found Beauport cruising from Acapulco,down the coast of Mexico,with stops in Costa Rica and on through Panama.Stops were made at Isla Seca, The Perlas and then on to Darien Province where Beauport sailed up the Tuira, the largest and most important river in Panama. The Tuira, flows into the Golfo de San Miguel on the Pacific coast. A stop was made at La Palma,the center of commerce for the area. After spending a few days exploring the area the guests were treated to a real adventure...a trip up the Mogue River.

The Emberá village of Mogue (MOE-gay), up the river that gives it its name, welcomes visitors and in fact has become a tourist destination for the area. It’s about midway between Punta Patiño and La Palma.

  It takes about a half hour by boat from either Patiño or La Palma to get to the mouth of Río Mogue. It’s a potentially bumpy boat ride on the ocean. The Mogue is a beautiful river, in a slightly spooky, Conradian sense. It’s swampy, still, and serpentine, with towering black mangroves on either side.

  Boats have to take it slow up this murky river to avoid damaging the engine. It’s about a 25-minute cruise from the mouth of the river to Mogue village. On the river and the trails around the village birders might spot white ibises, willets, whimbrels, mangrove black-hawks, roseate spoonbills, red-throated caracaras, laughing falcons, black oropendolas, orange-crowned orioles, and other gorgeous birds.

  The village is near when the mangroves give way to plantain fields. It’s a 15-minute walk from where the boat puts in to Paraíso Mogue (Mogue Paradise), as a welcome sign in the village puts it.


Beauport spent several weeks cruising the Pacific coast of Panama,including the remote Golfo De San Miguel in Darien province. 


After the week spent around the Golfo San Miguel Beauport cruised North towards Panama City.Once there Beauport anchored out at Balboa Yacht Club to wait her turn to transit the Panama Canal.

Transiting the canal was done at night. It was an amazing experience for all, with most guest and crew staying up through the night until Colon,on the Caribbean side was reached.After a day spent resting, anchors were pulled again and we were off to Portobello.This sleepy little town is rich in history. Time was spent exploring the ruins of the forts and diving in the warm waters around Drakes Island.

Beauport's next stop was San Blas, home to the Kuna Yala . Here the people were as warm as the weather and many friends were made. The waters were crystal clear, the beaches secluded and inviting. This was the highlite of the four month trip for most onboard. San Blas is paradise!There was so much to see and do. The kayaks were in the water 24/7, the Hobie was launched and the helicopter tours were unbeatable.Snorkellers and divers couldn't get enough of the warm, clear water and the wreck on Dog Island quickly became a favourite destination.

Everyday was a new experience.Fresh water is in short supply in San Blas and once the natives realized that we had a ready supply of it the line ups started. Of course while the containers were being filled our pockets were being emptied. Molas and carving were proudly displayed by the visitors to the ship and neither guests nor crew could resist these colorful works of art.

In mid-March the guest disembarked Beaport and returned to their various places of residence.The crew stayed in San Blas for three months,finally departing for Cartagena at the beginning of June.

Once in Cartagena there was a major crew change. After spending the summer there,restocking supplies and doing repairs, Beauport departed for a tour of the Caribbean. Stops were made in Curacao, Bonaire and then on to Venezuela.Isla Margarita became the final destination there and was where Beauport remained anchored until Christmas.When she finally pulled anchor it was to head North to Ft. Lauderdale and the boat show.